PhD: Economics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech), 2004.
MSc: Agricultural and Applied Economics, Virginia Tech, 2007.
BA: Economics and French, University at Albany, State University of New York, 1995.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SCHOOL OF PHARMACY
July 2022 – present
July 2015 – July 2022
July 2012 – July 2015
Research Assistant Professor
July 2006 – July 2012
Research and teaching focuses on pharmacoeconomics, outcomes research, health disparities, and multilevel analyses. Teaching responsibilities include three PhD courses, two PharmD courses, and lectures in various other classes.
- Contributed Research Award: Best New Investigator Podium Presentation. International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 9th Annual European Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark (2006)
- Contributed Research Award: Best Podium Presentation. International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 14th Annual International Meeting, Florida, USA (2009)
- “Quality of Care: The Impact of Multidisciplinary Care on Processes and Outcomes of Cancer Care.” 2011. Source: SAIC-Frederick. (Sub-contract principal investigator; Principal Investigator = Nicholas Petrelli, MD). $246,401.
- “Race, environment, and medical decisions among prostate cancer patients.” American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant. (Principal Investigator). $30,000.
- “Prostate Cancer SEER-Medicare CER: HEOR.” Source: Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals 2011; $393,300 (Principal Investigator = Eberechukwu Onukwugha, PhD).
- “Colon Cancer SEER-Medicare CER: HEOR.” Source: Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals 2011; $398,700 (co-Investigator, Principal Investigator = C. Daniel Mullins, PhD).
- “Cancer Related Bone Metastasis.” Source: Amgen Inc. 2011; $433,950 (Co-Investigator; Principal Investigator = Arif Hussain, MD).
- “Modifying Contact Precautions for MRSA in Extended Care.” Source: AHRQ (R18HS01997901A1) 2011; (Economist; Principal Investigator = Mary-Claire Roghmann, MD, MS).
- “Cost Study of Linezolid versus Vancomycin among Hospitalized Patients.” Source: Pfizer 2010; $235,224 (Principal Investigator = C. Daniel Mullins).
- “The Comparative Effectiveness of Tiotropium Plus Long-Acting β2-agonist in the Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease at the Veterans Affairs Maryland Health Care System.” Source: Novartis 2009; $132,384 (Principal Investigator).
- “Treatment and Survival among Men Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer: An examination of newer management strategies and therapies.” Source: Sanofi-Aventis 2009; $421,809 (Multiple Principal Investigators = C. Daniel Mullins, PhD and Eberechukwu Onukwugha, PhD).
- “Treatment Patterns, Outcomes, and Costs Related to Colon Cancer.” Source: Sanofi-Aventis 2009; $319,337 (Multiple Principal Investigators = C. Daniel Mullins, PhD and Ebere Onukwugha, PhD).
- “The Economic Burden of Overactive Bladder Symptoms.” Source: Pfizer, Inc 2008; $113,605 (Co-Investigator; Principal Investigator = Eberechukwu Onukwugha, PhD).
- “Computerized Decision Support at the Time of a Prescription.” Source: Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Service (HSR&D) 2008; $110,810 (Co-Investigator; Principal Investigator = Sylvain DeLisle, MD, MBA).
- “Treatment Patterns, Costs, and Outcomes across Various Cancer Sites.” Source: Sanofi- Aventis 2007; $690,000 (co-Investigator, Principal Investigator = C. Daniel Mullins).
- “White Paper on Cost/QALY Threshold.” Source: GlaxoSmithKline 2007; $55,000 (co-Investigator, Principal Investigator = C. Daniel Mullins).
- “Discharges against medical advice among cardiovascular disease patients”. Source: Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Career Development Grant (1K12RR023250-01), National Institutes of Health Clinical Research Scholars Program. (Principal Investigator on child account, Principal Investigator on institutional award = Alan Shuldiner MD).
- “Sutent Budget Impact Model and Dossier.” Source: Pfizer 2006; $80,711 (co-Investigator, Principal Investigator = C. Daniel Mullins).
- “Interface for Sutent Budget Impact Model.” Source: Pfizer 2006; $29,383 (co-Investigator, Principal Investigator = C. Daniel Mullins).
- “Treatment Patterns, Costs, and Outcomes of Chemotherapy in Prostate and Lung Cancers.” Source: Sanofi-Aventis 2006; $488,464 (co-Investigator, Principal Investigator = C. Daniel Mullins).
- “Use and Outcomes of Novel Chemotherapeutic Agents in Colorectal Cancer” Source: Sanofi- Aventis 2006; $650,514 (co-Investigator, Principal Investigator = C. Daniel Mullins).
- “The application of the probabilistic reduction approach to health econometric model specification and testing.” Source: Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Health Outcomes, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) Foundation. Principal Investigator.
Visit the “Publications” webpage for an updated list from PubMed.
Bikov KA, Mullins CD, Seal B, Onukwugha E, Hanna N. Algorithm for Identifying Chemotherapy/Biologic Regimens for Metastatic Colon Cancer in SEER-Medicare. Medical Care. 2013. In press.
Kauffman KS, dos Reis S, Ross M, Barnet B, Onukwugha E, Mullins CD. Engaging Hard-to-Reach Patients in Patient-Centered Outcomes Research. Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research. 2013. In press.
Onukwugha E. Improving Confidence in Observational Studies: Should Statistical Analysis Plans be Made Publicly Available? PharmacoEconomics 2013; 31(3): 177-179. PMID: 23338964.
Rattinger GB, Mullins CD, Zuckerman IH, Onukwugha E, Walker LD, Gundlapalli A, Samore M, Delisle S. A sustainable strategy to prevent misuse of antibiotics for acute respiratory infections. PLoS One. 2012;7(12):e51147. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0051147. Epub 2012 Dec 12. PMID: 23251440
Onukwugha E, Saunders E, Mullins CD, Pradel FG, Zuckerman M, Loh FE, Weir MR. A Qualitative Study to Identify Reasons for Discharges against Medical Advice in the Cardiovascular Setting. BMJ Open. Jul 30;2(4). pii: e000902. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-000902. Print 2012.
Shoemaker S, Davidoff A, Stuart B, Zuckerman I, Onukwugha E. Eligibility and Take –up of the Medicare Part D Low Income Subsidy. Inquiry. 2012. In press.
Reese ES, Mullins CD, Beitelshees A, Onukwugha E. The cost-effectiveness of CYP2C19 genotype screening to select clopidogrel or prasugrel for antiplatelet therapy. Pharmacotherapy 2012. PMID: 22461122.
Stuart B, Davidoff AJ, Pradel F, Lopert R, Shaffer T, Onukwugha E, Hendrick F, Lloyd J. Persistence in health behaviors among Medicare beneficiaries. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2012.
Mullins CD, Hsiao FY, Onukwugha E, Pandya N, Hanna N. Comparative and cost effectiveness of oxaliplatin-based or irinotecan-based regimens compared with 5FU/LV-alone among US elderly stage IV colon cancer patients. Cancer 2011. In press. PMID: 22020739
Hsiao FY, Mullins CD, Onukwugha E, Pandya N, Hanna N. Comparative Effectiveness of Different Chemotherapeutic Regimens on Survival of People Aged 66 and Older with Stage III Colon Cancer: A “Real World” Analysis Using Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results-Medicare Data. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2011. In press. PMID: 21831168
Grabner M, Onukwugha E, Jain E, Mullins CD. Racial variation in the cost-effectiveness of chemotherapy for prostate cancer. Journal of Oncology Practice. 2011 May;7(3 Suppl):e16s-24s. PMID 21886506.
NN Hanna*, Onukwugha E*, Choti MA, Davidoff AJ, Zuckerman IH, Hsu VD, Mullins CD. Comparative analysis of various prognostic nodal factors, adjuvant chemotherapy and survival among stage III colon cancer patients over 65 years: an analysis using Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER)-Medicare data. Colorectal Disease. 2012; In press. PMID 21689262 [*Joint first authorship]
Onukwugha E, Mullins CD, Hsu VD, Seal B, Hussain A. Impact of urologists and medical oncologists on treatment in elderly men with stage IV prostate cancer. Urology 2011; 77(5):1088-95. PMID 21439617
Onukwugha E, Mullins CD, Loh F-L, Saunders E, Shaya F, and Weir MR. Readmissions after unauthorized discharges in the cardiovascular setting. Medical Care 2011; 49(2): 215-24. PMID: 21206297
Schneider M, Zuckerman IH, Onukwugha E, Pandya N, Seal B, Gardner J, Mullins CD. Chemotherapy treatment and survival in older women with estrogen reeptor negative metastatic breast cancer: a population-based analysis. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2011; 59(4):637-46. PMID: 21453377
Mullins CD, Onukwugha E, Cooke JL, Hussain A, Baquet CR. The Potential Impact of Comparative Effectiveness Research on the Health of Minority Populations. Health Affairs 2010; 29(11): 2098-104. PMID: 20923813
Jain R, Grabner M, Onukwugha E. Sensitivity analysis in cost-effectiveness analysis: from guidelines to practice. PharmacoEconomics. 2010; 29(4):297-314. PMID: 21395350
Margolis JM, Cao Z, Onukwugha E, Sanchez RJ, Alvir J, Joshi AV, Mullins CD. Healthcare utilization and cost effects of prior authorization for pregabalin in commercial health plans. American Journal of Managed Care. 2010. 16(6):447-56. PMID: 20560688
Onukwugha E, Saunders E, Mullins CD, Pradel FG, Zuckerman M, Weir MR. Reasons for self-discharges against medical advice: a qualitative study. Quality and Safety in Health Care. 2010. 19(5):420-4. PMID: 20538627
Rattinger G, Mullins CD, Zuckerman IH, Onukwugha E, Leibman C, Townsend RJ, DeLisle S. Clinic Visits and Prescribing Patterns among Veterans Affairs Maryland Health Care System Dementia Patients. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging. 2010; 14(8):677-83. PMID: 20922345
Mullins CD, Onukwugha E, Bikov K, Seal B, Hussain A. Trends in health disparities in staging of prostate cancer patients. Urology 2010. 76(3):566-72. PMID: 20163844
Bridges JFP, Onukwugha E, Mullins CD. Healthcare rationing by proxy: cost-effectiveness analysis and the misuse of the $50,000 threshold in the US.Pharmacoeconomics 2010. 28(3):175-84. PMID: 20067332
Bergtold JS, Spanos A, Onukwugha E. Bernoulli regression models: revisiting the specification of statistical models with binary dependent variables. Journal of Choice Modelling 2010 3(2).
Davidoff A, Rapp T, Onukwugha E, Zuckerman IH, Hanna N, Pandya N, Mullins CD. Trends in Disparities in Receipt of Adjuvant Therapy for Elderly Stage III Colon Cancer Patients: The Role of the Medical Oncologist Evaluation. Medical Care 2009; 47(12):1229-36. PMID: 19786906
Margolis J, Johnston S, Chu B-C, Onukwugha E, Hvidsten K, Alvir J, Rossi J, Mullins CD. Effects of a Medicaid Prior Authorization Policy for Pregabalin. American Journal of Managed Care 2009; 15(10): e95-102. PMID: 19817512
Zuckerman IH, Rapp T, Onukwugha E, Davidoff AJ, Choti MA, Gardner J, Seal B, Mullins CD. Effect of age on survival benefit of adjuvant chemotherapy in elderly patients with stage III colon cancer. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2009; 57(8): 1403-10. PMID: 19563521
Onukwugha E, Zuckerman IH, McNally D, Coyne K, Vats V, Mullins CD. The total economic burden of overactive bladder in the United States: a disease-specific approach. American Journal of Managed Care 2009; 15(10): e95-102. PMID: 19355803
Onukwugha E, Saunders E, Shaya FT, Weir MR. Ethnic disparities, hospital quality, and discharges against medical advice among patients with cardiovascular disease. Ethnicity & Disease 2009; 19(2):172-8. PMID: 19537229
Onukwugha E and Weir MR. The dual impact of rehabilitation admission and race/ethnicity on discharges against medical advice. NeuroRehabilitation 2009; 24(1):67-74. PMID: 19208959
Onukwugha E, Mullins CD, DeLisle S. Using cost-effectiveness analysis to sharpen formulary decision making: The example of tiotropium at the Veterans Affairs Health Care System. Value in Health 2008; 11(5): 980-988. PMID: 18194405
Onukwugha E and Mullins CD. Racial disparities in hospital discharge disposition among stroke patients in Maryland. Medical Decision Making 2007; 27: 233-242. PMID: 17502447
Akobundu E, Ju J, Blatt L, Mullins CD. Cost of illness studies: A review of current methods used to estimate Costs. Pharmacoeconomics 2006; 24(9): 869-890. PMID: 16942122
Akobundu E, Alwang J, Essel A, Norton GW, and Tegene A. Does extension work? Impacts of a program to assist limited-resource farmers in Virginia. Review of Agricultural Economics 2004; 26(3): 361-372.
Bergtold J, Akobundu E, and Peterson E. The FAST Method: Estimating unconditional demand elasticities for processed foods in the presence of fixed effects. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 2004; 29(2): 276-295.
Tideman N, Akobundu E, Johns A, and Wutthicharoen P. The avoidable excess burden of broad-based US taxes. Public Finance Review 2002; 30(5): 416-441.
Onukwugha E. Statistical Methods for Retrospective Designs: Heckman Selection Models. In Reliability and Validity of Data Sources for Outcomes Research & Disease and Health Management. Editor: D. Esposito. 2013. Lawrenceville, NJ: International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research.
Onukwugha E and E Reese. Statistical Methods for Retrospective Designs: Instrumental Variables. In Reliability and Validity of Data Sources for Outcomes Research & Disease and Health Management. Editor: D. Esposito. 2013. Lawrenceville, NJ: International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research.
“Quality issues related to the use of patient level databases.” Workshop presentation. 12th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research. May 2007.
“Predicting the budgetary impact of new drugs: applying microeconomic theory and case studies.” Workshop presentation. 12th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research. May 2007.
“The cost-effectiveness of tiotropium versus ipratropium in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at the VA: implications for criteria-for-use.” 1st Annual VA Clinical Pharmacy Programming Conference, Minneapolis, MN. September 2007.
“Sensitivity analysis in cost-effectiveness analysis: from guidelines to practice.” Workshop presentation. 14th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research. May 2010.
University Of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB)
- Co-Faculty Advisor, ISPOR Student Chapter; 2011 – present
- Member, School of Pharmacy graduate program admissions committee, Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research; 2011 – present
- Chair, Advisory Council for the Pharmaceutical Research Computing center, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy; 2012 – present
- Member, UMB School of Pharmacy Graduate and Research Studies Committee; 2012 – present
- Advisor, PharmD students from class of 2016; 2012 – present
- Program Director, Graduate program in Pharmaceutical Health Services Research, PHSR Department, UMB School of Pharmacy; 2013 – present
- President, Faculty Assembly, UMB School of Pharmacy; 2013 – present
- Executive Director, Pharmaceutical Research Computing; 2014 – present
- Editorial Board member, Pharmacoeconomics; 2009 – present
- Editorial Board member, Ethnicity&Disease; 2009 – present
- President, ISPOR Faculty Advisory Council; 2013 – present
- PharmacoEconomics, Reviewer 2007 – present
- Annals of Internal Medicine, Reviewer 2007
- American Journal of Public Health, Reviewer 2007
- Circulation, Reviewer 2008
- Health Economics, Reviewer 2010
- Journal of Hospital Medicine, Reviewer 2010
- Value in Health, Reviewer 2010 – present
CONSULTING/ADVISORY BOARDS (within last 3 years)
- IMS Health